The University of Iowa

Non-Monetary Agreements

  1. Introduction
  2. Material Transfer Agreements
  3. Confidential Disclosure Agreements
  4. Teaming Agreements

a. Introduction

In addition to awards that provide funding for University projects, the Division of Sponsored Programs processes agreements that solidify a variety of non-monetary arrangements in relation to the conduct of research. Non-monetary agreements come in various types, suited to specific purposes, as described in the following sections.

Back to top

b. Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs)

Material Transfer Agreements were developed in response to intellectual property, confidentiality, and risk concerns involved in the transfer of research materials between investigators and institutions, defining the terms under which the materials will be exchanged and how the materials are to be used in research. The UI Division of Sponsored Programs negotiates and processes incoming MTAs, when UI researchers are requesting materials from other institutions. The University of Iowa Research Foundation prepares and sends outgoing MTAs, covering UI-owned materials that are being transferred to researchers outside the University.

Each MTA, incoming or outgoing, requires an MTA & Non-Monetary Agreements Routing Form and corresponding routing through UI channels, as detailed in the UI Routing Policy/Procedure.  

Additional information is available through the DSP Material Transfer Agreements site.

Back to top

c. Con​fidential Disclosure Agreements (CDAs)

Confidential Disclosure Agreements, also referred to as Non-Disclosure Agreements, are executed whenever confidential information is disclosed, received, or exchanged by and within The University of Iowa. These agreements are designed to protect the disclosing party's interests, ensuring the information is not further disclosed to third parties without the disclosing party's knowledge and prior approval. The most common use of the CDA is to protect proprietary information on industrial technology or products and/or University intellectual property or unpublished research advances, so that information can be exchanged during the development of industry-sponsored agreements with the University.

The procedure for establishing a CDA depends on the type:

Inc​​oming CDA

An incoming CDA is used for a one-way disclosure, when a company or organization is going to disclose confidential information to a UI investigator. The UI investigator will not be disclosing confidential information to the outside company or organization in return. For ease in preparing an incoming CDA, please see the UI's Model Incoming Confidential Disclosure Agreement. Most incoming CDAs are processed by the Division of Sponsored Programs. All incoming CDAs need to be signed by both the University of Iowa researcher and an authorized representative for The University of Iowa. To process your CDA, please send the CDA and a completed MTA & Non-Monetary Routing Form to the UI's Division of Sponsored Programs. If questions, please e-mail or contact a member of the DSP Staff.

Outgoing CDA

An outgoing CDA is used for a one-way disclosure, when the UI investigator will be disclosing confidential information to a company or organization. The outside company or organization will not be disclosing confidential information to the UI investigator in return. The University of Iowa Research Foundation prepares and handles confidentiality agreements to enable the exchange of information to prospective licensees on University inventions. For more information, please contact the UIRF at or 335-4546.

Mutual CDA

A mutual CDA is used for the two-way exchange of confidential information, where information will be disclosed by both the University of Iowa investigator and by the outside company/organization. Depending on the nature of the information to be disclosed by the UI investigator, these agreements may be negotiated by the University of Iowa Research Foundation or by the Division of Sponsored Programs. If the UI investigator will be disclosing information related to an invention, the investigator should contact the UIRF at or 335-4546. The Division of Sponsored Programs will process most other mutual CDAs, asking that you direct questions to or 335-2123.

Back to top

d. Teaming​ Agreements

A Teaming Agreement is appropriate when two or more parties form a joint venture to act as a potential prime contractor, or when a prime contractor agrees with one or more parties to have those parties act as subcontractors. Teaming agreements are frequently executed before proposals are developed, presetting certain terms prior to the proposal's submission and assuring the sponsor that the parties have agreed to establish the contractual arrangements necessary for successfully conducting the project.

Back to top